Thursday, July 15, 2010

CHILDHOOD TREASURES

My mother was always throwing important "things" (translation: treasures) away during spring and fall housecleaning. In my mind she clearly did not understand the significance of a saved stone or a dried, crumbling collection of pressed leaves stored in a shoe box. She kept what she felt important...dolls placed carefully in carriages...games neatly stored in their boxes on the proper shelves. Things of permanence can be saved, but rocks and leaves, after all, can "easily be replaced" was her argument. “And besides,” she said, "that stuff just makes a mess."

Maybe she was right. I still have the dolls, though stored away in boxes. Yes, they are a treasure I will someday hand down to my only granddaughter. But, for now, I remember the importance of a collection of pressed leaves and a saved stone, acknowledging the treasures stored these days by my grandchildren.


FOR A CHILD

(edited version of CHILDHOOD TREASURES)

Stones stored in a box

Crumbling leaves from yesteryear

What's become of them?

Unimportant stuff

Not difficult to replace

No use shedding tears.

Newly gathered stones

Leaves placed in a press with care

Remembering mom.


August 28, 2000

No comments: