Thursday, October 7, 2010

Comtemplate, Consider, Focus

Old cast-off army blanket from by-gone era
spread over tall grass in a clearing
surrounded with maple, oak, hemlock, and pine.
Lying there staring up at sun veiled by wisps of clouds,
I contemplate the past, consider the future
but focus on the present.

As I contemplate the past,
tears surface over things remembered,
things best forgotten remain locked in memory;
but some tears flow from exquisite joy,
and so they balance one another
leaving few enduring regrets.

As I consider the future,
hopes and dreams flourish,
understanding not all are attainable
and knowing dreams change
as time requires and body accepts the challenge
as neither is static.

As I focus on the present,
just to be in the moment brings comfort.
Stay still, listen to the wind whisper
the beauty of the universe in my ears,
feel the sun cast healing rays on my wounded body.
Worries set aside, I bring myself
to think not beyond the beauty of today.


Karen McClelland
August 1, 2009

No comments: